OMG DUZ NE1 KNO HOW 2 TLK? (LOL?)

 I am writing this post after recently finding myself typing 'LOL' when in fact I was not even laughing, let alone out loud! And the image below shows, that I recently to my own shock and disgust found myself typing 'YOLO' (You only live once) when giving advice to my younger cousin. 
I grew up in the MSN generation, a generation where we would come home from school, turn our computers on and chat about nothing for hours to the people we had been at school with all day. It was here where we all lost our ability to speak proper english. I like many people I know would rather text than call someone, and with social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook face to face communication is easily avoidable. 
But what worries me is how much the english language is changing, and I am concerned that in years to come our children will be in reception class learning the definition of LOL. I mean it won't be the first time our language has changed no one speaks like this anymore: "O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo? Deny thy father and refuse thy name; Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love. And I'll no longer be a Capulet." 
As geeky as I sound I think the english language is one which should not be lost, we have such a unique language and have created some of the most wonderful and inspirational writers in the world. Our language has homophones (see&sea) and techniques which no other languages contain, this is why I don't want it lost to the text generation. 


Needless to say I will still be saying LOL for years to come in my texts and tweets, so don't start wagging your fingers at me! 

Labels: , , , , ,