CHATTER || Getting Older & Being A Graduate

I don't want to get old. Seriously, I am like Peter Pan if I could stay a child forever I would. The issue is, I am 21 years old, with such a severe fear of growing up that I surround myself with Disney characters and pretend that it is just not happening. But it is. And fast!


Two weeks ago today I handed in my final ever university assignment and left that oh so familiar campus for good. I have been in education since I was 4 years old, that is a total of 17 years of my life and now that security blanket of teachers, lecturers and exams has gone I feel a little lost.

I know I am not alone in this but it is something that maybe needs to be addressed. A lot of our friends are settled, getting engaged or married and we're stuck with that looming question of: "So what are you doing now." We have numerous unsuccessful interviews, send our CV out to absolutely anyone who will read it but ... nothing. We've graduated in one of the biggest credit crunches to hit the UK and jobs are like gold dust and four leaf clovers to find.


The problem I face is that I was ready to leave university, not that I didn't love my course, because I did, but I was just getting restless and looking for a new challenge. Little did I know that my new challenge was to become how much daytime TV I can endure before I totally loose my mind.

The main reason I am telling you all this is because if you're sat there on your sofa scoffing a full bar of Dairy Milk thinking: "What am I doing with my life?" You're not alone. It's tough out there for graduates wanting to prove themselves. But keep at it and hopefully if you want it enough you'll get it. Just because your friend who didn't go to uni has a full-time job and is making snide remarks about your unemployment situation , don't regret those three years of bloody hard work and graft because you learnt things they didn't.

Now, I know this is hard. I've found myself preying for that YES, screaming into cushions and simply crying in self pity because I don't have a job. But at the moment it is early days. I only finished two weeks ago and already can't understand why I am not employed ... maybe it is a sign that after 17 years in education that you just need a rest!


** Sorry for the lack of video yesterday - I am waiting upon camera equipment. Hopefully my May Faves will be up next week!

Labels: , , , , , ,